Reporting from Georgetown: New York Fashion Week

News

It was 10:55 a.m. I was pedaling my life away on a pirate bike, while counting my many drops of sweat, each reminding me of 1. the extremely hot weather and 2. my journey that would take longer than 5 minutes, thus, making me late to class at 11. It was also at that moment—right before having to endure an hour and 15 minute lecture about the Iran deal—that I dreamt of New York Fashion Week.

Now for those of you who don’t know, Fashion Week is an event that happens around the world at numerous times throughout the year. New York Fashion Week—specifically— typically occurs in the months of September and February, giving fashion designers the chance to present their designs to the public, buyers, and the press. The event is huge–attracting thousands while also creating an astronomical economic impact on the state of New York that’s in the millions. Such an event is usually discarded as unnecessary or uninteresting, but I dear reader, will be interested for the both of us.

As I write this article, it’s only day 3 of NYFW—yet already there is much to be discussed. Let me give you the low-down. Also, please keep in mind that since I am nothing more than a college senior under the charge of professors with iron-clad attendance policies, I thus could not make it out to New York this year; therefore, I write my Fashion Week report from my own research conducted thanks to the help of millennial technologies. Here are two of my NYFW standout moments:

GIVENCHY

This famed Paris fashion house is best known for having graced the backs of iconic and timeless beauties such as Audrey Hepburn and Kim Kardashian. Ricardo Tisci’s latest collection made its debut in New York City, despite the show’s pivotal role as a staple of Paris Fashion Week. This move was like, a big deal, such as a Bar Mitzvah or coming out as a closet Nickelback fan. The clothes made an antithetic statement—one of opposites attracting to create harmony.  

Highlights of the show included Tisci’s use of soft silks paired with sharply cut lace and his strategic placing of sheer accents against monochrome pieces for the womenswear line. Givenchy men’s was just as climactic—clean silhouettes warranted by blazers constructed in sharp Parisian detail, sleek and shiny textures complimented by rich solid blocks of black and white.

The duality of this collection was moving, much like a best friend who doubles as your worst enemy, or the comforting color scheme of an Oreo cookie. The show was gorgeous—a fact anyone (fashion-interested or not) can appreciate. After all, who doesn’t like Oreos?

ALEXANDER WANG

All personal bias aside, Alexander Wang had the best runway show of all time—perhaps a bit of personal bias, just this once. Marking his tenth anniversary in the fashion game, Alexander Wang blew NYFW (and the world) a gentle but very firm kiss. His nod to his streetwear origins was extremely well-received by all, every move from deconstructed denim shorts, pops of shocking blue and bright red color on jackets to make more basic pieces stand out initiated Wang’s flirtation with the audience, along with his spin on current fashion staples such as metallic and fur-laced bomber jackets and mesh put together in a delicate militaristic style.

If you aren’t in Alexander Wang’s army, it’s best to bust out some Sun Tzu or join as soon as you can. His celeb-filled front row was a spectacle in itself—the list included notables such as the eccentric Lady Gaga, observant Nicki Minaj, tantrum-throwing Kanye West, and big-lipped (now blonde) Kylie Jenner. Don’t even get me started about the after party; two words: Hooters waitresses and gourmet jello shots. Need I say more?

Unfortunately, every dream ends once we wake up. Three days will turn into 7, and then the timer will start, counting down to the next Fashion Week. I hope my love of fashion has not swayed you away to Netflix just yet. However, I do hope that my witty repertoire describing the blueprints for what will be hanging in our closets in the near future will shine a different light on fashion and the industry as a whole. As exclusive and/or classist as this industry can get, it is one where everyone (yes, including you) can appreciate the hard labor of creatives, as they dictate something as crucially mundane as the clothes we wear each day. Keep your eyes forward and keep them covered everyone—the dream is just beginning.